>>Conservative Republican Study committee Newsletter Update
- In: Barack Obama | Bob Basso as Thomas Paine | Climategate | Communism in America | Economy/Money | Environment | Glenn Beck | Health Care | International News | national deficit, taxes, national budget | National News | National Politics | Obamanation | Progressives Movement to Destroy America | Rep Tom Price | Social Security, Medicare, taxes | Taxes | United Nations | United States taxes
- Leave a Comment
RSC Update: Monday, December 21, 2009
From the Chairman
Early this morning, Senator Reid and his Democrat colleagues advanced their latest health care disaster with a dead-of-night vote on a bill larded up with handouts for certain Senators only to secure their votes. This is an atrocity that we must not take sitting down.
It might be Christmas time, but this big-government bill is not a gift the American people are looking for under the tree. Instead of patient-centered reform, Democrats in Washington have delivered a bill that’s full of $518 billion in new taxes, $470 billion in rationing cuts for seniors on Medicare, and endless new bureaucratic structures that will get in between patients and their doctors.
You and I both know the American people reject this plan. It only passed because a handful of Senators secured special benefits for their states that the rest of us will be paying for. This is a true outrage, and one we must not tolerate. This morning’s vote was a big hurdle for Democrats in Washington , but this is not a done deal. The American people can still throw up the stop sign on this devastating government takeover of health care. Don’t be silent in this critical moment.
Congressman Tom Price
Chairman, Republican Study Committee
RSC Media Activity – Republican Study Committee members work hard to ensure that the conservative viewpoint is well-represented in all corners of the media.
- Rep. Frank Lucas (OK-03): Ignoring Real Problems; The Oklahoman, December 16.
- Chairman Tom Price (GA-06): Let’s Be Frank, Mr. Vice President: The Stimulus Failed; BigGovernment.com, December 17.
Outlook – Here is a preview of upcoming Democrat proposals to advance their big-government, anti-taxpayer agenda.
- The Senate continues to debate its government takeover of health care, with Democrat leaders signaling a desperate desire to pass a bill through the Senate before Christmas.
House Floor Activity – The following key legislation came through the House of Representatives last week.
- Last week, the House passed H.R. 2847 (the $150 billion “Son of Stimulus”), H.R. 4314 (to increase the federal credit card limit by nearly $300 billion), and H.R. 3326 (the defense appropriations bill).
- The RSC has compiled a one page review of the state of federal finances at the end of the First Session of the 111th Congress.
- The RSC takes a look at the abortion provisions of the new Senate health care bill.
- Each week, the RSC Budget and Spending Taskforce compiles a weekly report on the latest budget and spending news. Additionally, the RSC Money Monitor tracks how bills passed by the House affect authorizations, mandatory spending, and federal government revenue.
House Republican Study Committee
Rep Tom Price, M.D., Chairman
Paul Teller, Executive Director
Brad Watson, Policy Director
Natalie Farr, Professional Staff
Emily Henehan, Professional Staff
Bruce “ Fez ” Miller, Professional Staff
Jonathan Day, Director of Member Services and Business Outreach
Alex Shively, Director of Conservative Coalitions
Brendan Buck, Communications Director
Brian Straessle, Deputy Communications Director
Curtis Rhyne, Staff Assistant