Labor Day Has Become Government Day and bigger Unions Day
Posted September 6, 2010on:
- In: AFT American Federation of Teachers | Andy Stern | Big Labor Unions | Brain washing our children | communist | Davis Bacon Act | Economy/Money | Know the enemies of America | national deficit, taxes, national budget | NEA National Education Association | Politics 2010 | Progressives Movement to Destroy America | public service employees | Redistributing wealth | SEIU Service Employees International Union | Taxes
- 12 Comments
Government workers are more and more members of unions and are shaking the tax payers down.
Blackmail is the name of the game: You give us more or we shut off your water or fail to deliver you mail causing you to be late on payments due. Or we shut down your schools and sent all the students home for working families to have to make other arrangements for child care. the list of things the unions can do to get their way is endless when the unions control our governments which provided needed services.
Should Government employees be allowed to join unions? There was a time when the job security these jobs offered was considered adequate compensation for not allowing union and bargaining for wages and benefits.
I heard on FOXNEWS today that just two unions are giving are giving a total of $90 Million to Democrats for this election alone. Democrats because of this money extorted from workers in the guise of union dues is being used to enhance the campaign funds of politicians they feel will give them even more of a hold over the tax payer.
And don’t be fooled by the fact that this election the Democrats are getting the unions dollars because may Republicans in the past have been buddies with the union also. Watch carefully who you vote for and get his/her promise to reduce the power of unions in our public sector (government employees).BB
This Labor Day marks a milestone in the history of the U.S. union movement. It is the first Labor Day on which a majority of union members in United States work for the government. In January the Department of Labor reported that union membership in government has overtaken that in the private sector. Three times as many union members work in the Post Office as in the entire domestic auto industry. The face of the union movement is not a worker on the assembly line but a clerk at the DMV.
This is a dramatic shift for the union movement. The early trade unionists did not believe that unions had a place in government. They believed the purpose of unions was to redistribute business profits from owners to workers … and the government makes no profits. Not until the 1960s did unionizing government employees become widespread. Now government employees make up 52 percent of all union members.
So what? Why should Americans care if unions are now dominated by workers who get their paychecks from governments, instead of workers who get their paychecks from private firms? There’s one simple reason: private firms face competition; governments don’t.
Collective bargaining, the anti-trust exemption at the heart the labor movement’s power, was created to help workers seize their “fair share” of business profits. But if a union ends up extracting a contract from a private firm that eats up too much of the profits, then that firm will be unable to reinvest those resources and will lose out to competitors. But when a union extracts a generous contract from a government, there is no check on that spending. Instead of being forced out by more efficient competitors, the government just raises taxes.
The shift from private to public sector has fundamentally changed organized labor’s priorities. Unions used to support policies that would help their private sector employers grow. But now that they are largely dependent on the government, the only growth that unions are interested in is the growth of government. So unions push for tax increases across the country. Consider recent union activism:
- Illinois. Unions want state lawmakers to increase the state income tax from 3 percent to 5 percent and to expand the sales tax to cover some services. In April 2010 they organized rallies of government workers outside the state capitol shouting “Raise my taxes! Raise my taxes! Raise my taxes!” At that rally, a government union member was caught on camera chanting “Where’s the money?” and “Give up the bucks!”
- Montana. The Montana teachers union openly sees itself as a supporter of tax and spend politics. Its President boasts, “Were it not for us almost any one of the … anti-tax and spend ballot issues proposed in the last 25 years would have passed.”
- New Mexico. Unions lobbied the state’s legislature to raise taxes to deal with its budget deficit. The union got its wish, but it was not the wealthy who paid – the legislature imposed a 2 percent sales tax on food.
- Washington state. Washington state has no income tax, and unions want to change that. They have placed an initiative on the November ballot creating a state income tax and are among the top donors to the campaign to pass it.
Government unions are the backbone of the Obama dependency economy. Taxpayers should not have to subsidize union campaigns, much less those that call for tax increases. At the very least Congress should end the automatic payroll deduction of union dues.
- Morning Bell: Do You Wish You Could Choose Your Child’s Teacher?
- Morning Bell: Under Obamanomics, Government Workers Win, You Lose
- Big unions. Andy Stern of the Service Workers International Union has been the most frequent White House guest since Obama took office. Now that Stern has moved on to a more powerful position in the government the head of the AFL-CIO unions is becoming the most frequently guest and buddy to Obama.
- Morning Bell: Federal Government Overpaid $47 Billion a Year
- Morning Bell: The Government Bailouts Must End
- Morning Bell: Unions Just Flushed $5 Million of Your Tax Dollars Down the Toilet
- These last three are sure to get your nickers twisted!
This articles may also interest you:
This is what Obama’s moratorium on drilling in the Gulf and coastal waters is leading to. We will be forced to buy more oil from Chevez!
Remember this is one of the important parts of turning a population to Communism is to degrade their morals. Even tho it has been proven again and again in studies that single family (usually welfare families unfortunately) headed by an unmarried mother leads to undermined chances for success by their children people still continue to “shack up” and the government of Obama is doing more to make it possible and even profitable!