Archive for the ‘Laws and Regulation–stupidities’ Category
- In: Big Labor Unions | Commentary | Economy/Money | Education | Environment | EPA Environmental Protection Agency | Government Failure Series from Cato Institute | Health Care | Health Care Reform Summary | Ineffective Government Programs | Islam, Muslim, jihad, terrorist | Know the enemies of America | Laws and Regulation--stupidities | Obama Against America | Obama and ethics | Obama Executive Decress | Obama's moratorium on drilling in the Gulf | Obamanation | Obamcare repeal and replace | Progressives Movement to Destroy America | public service employees
- 1 Comment
To my Readers, I am sorry to have been so very lax these past months in keeping up with my blog, but it just seemed that the news was so very depressing. More and more scandals which our President and his cohorts refused to do anything about or even to investigate. Remember the Presidents words that “there is not even a smidgen of evidence” of wrong doing by anyone in the IRS! when all know that Americans rights were being trampled and denied and the President and all involved were lying. Remember Benghazi and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s outburst of “what dopes it matter?” when 4 people died while everyone who could have possibly come to their aid had orders from on high to stand down! And it goes on and on! Those of you who follow FOX NEWS know what is going on and my comments would not have added anything. I would sincerely suggested that if you do not subscribe to Heritage Online you do so as an added source of in-depth information. Here is the latest issue.
I hope and believe that the American people have finally awakened to the evil monster that Obama is and will vote in a Republican Senate this year so that we may begin to undo some of the great damage he and his appointees have done to our country. It will of course take decades to rec0ver from this assault on our nation and values, and in some areas we may never become the America that we once were . I do have hope however. First we must vote in a Republican Senate and then in 2016 a Republican President. Then we MUST begin to replace the old dogs in both the House and the Senate who have grown lazy, complacent and greedy with power with younger Americans who are trying to remember what our country stood for when formed: a government by the people and for the people. Yours sincerely, Brenda Bowers
Facts you really should know about what your government is doing and how to take action against this tyranny NOW.
Posted June 20, 2013on:
- In: amnesty | Barack Obama | Big Labor Unions | Black community family | Brain washing our children | Bribery called Earmarks in congress | Climategate | Commentary | Communism in America | Constitution of the United States of America | Economy/Money | Education | Environment | EPA Environmental Protection Agency | Federal Reserve | Financial Industry Reform | Government Failure Series from Cato Institute | Health Care | illegal immigration | Immigration | Ineffective Government Programs | Internet | Internet Neutrality | Know the enemies of America | Laws and Regulation--stupidities | laws and regulations--stupidities | Left's and Obama's attack on religion | Leftist violence in America | national deficit, taxes, national budget | National Politics | Obama admistration | Obama and ethics | Obama's moratorium on drilling in the Gulf | Obamcare repeal and replace | Off Shore Drilling for oil and natural gas | patriotism | Progressives Movement to Destroy America | Project to Restore America | public service employees | Radical Left at War with America | Redistributing wealth | Regaining our moral standards | Subverting America by Uri Bezmenov | Supreme Court rulings | Taking back our schools | Taxes | The Fight Back | Unfunded liabilities | United Nation's Agenda 21 | United Nations | US in Revolt
- 6 Comments
I thought I was pretty well up on what is happening in our country because I really try hard to keep up and do a lot of reading, but now way was I even close to knowing what is happening to everyday people just like me and you. This article from the Heritage Foundation is an eye opener and a blood pressure raiser. Be sure and go to all the referred sites for all the information. The time for We the People to act is now when we have the momentum with the Tea Party and other groups up and moving. Time for you to get involved too before it has gone too far for the United States and Americans to turn the tide towards tyranny around and defeat those who would imprison us in a country no American wants to live in. Sincerely, Brenda Bowers BB
Every day, more Americans get trapped by big government. In addition to groups targeted by the IRS, upstanding citizens going about their normal lives are suddenly targeted by law enforcement authorities and charged as criminals. Just a few examples:
- A young girl was fined $535… for rescuing a wounded woodpecker.
- A businessman was jailed for years… for shipping lobsters in plastic bags rather than cardboard boxes.
- A Maryland father and building engineer faced a years-long legal ordeal… after being unfairly targeted under the Clean Water Act.
These are only a few of the shocking incidents The Heritage Foundation chronicles in our new project, USA vs. YOU. Experts at Heritage’s Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies reveal the stories of 22 people from all backgrounds, races, and income levels victimized by carelessly written laws.
When criminal laws are created to “solve” every problem, punish every mistake, and compel the “right” behaviors, this troubling trend is known as overcriminalization. Ultimately, it leads to injustice for honest, hard-working Americans at every level of society.
Public interest groups from across the political spectrum recognize how this flood of criminal laws violates our basic liberties. Diverse organizations including the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, the American Center for Law and Justice, and Right on Crime, among others, have joined with Heritage to reaffirm the true purpose of America’s justice system: to ensure public safety and protect the innocent.
When was the last time you saw the ACLU work together with a faith-based group like Justice Fellowship? WithUSA vs. YOU, the problem is grave enough to bring together unlikely allies. And we’re delivering this bipartisan message just as the House of Representatives has launched a task force aimed at correcting this issue.
This morning, Heritage Senior Legal Fellow John Malcolm will testify at the first hearing of the Overcriminalization Task Force—shining a spotlight on the scope and severity of this threat to our liberties. Ending the practice of trapping our citizens with unnecessary laws will be no easy task, with an estimated 4,500 criminal law offenses and 300,000 criminal regulations on the books.
Over the next six months, Members of Congress from both parties will study this issue in depth, hold hearings, and—with the right encouragement—take steps to enact real reform.
This new effort includes tools for you to raise your voice and make a difference in defending our liberties. So explore the documented stories in USA vs. YOU, follow the links, and take real action today to help turn the tide.
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- President Obama has changed his policy on Syria, saying that Bashar al-Assad used chemical weapons and that the U.S. will provide military support to the rebels.
- The Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, won’t be so “affordable” for many workers, reports the Associated Press.
- What would redefining marriage mean for Father’s Day?
- Investigative journalist James O’Keefe has produced some shocking stories of corruption. In a new book, hedetails his undercover work with Project Veritas.
- For decades, inappropriate IRS behaviors have been revealed. Each time, the agency has assured the public that it takes these breaches “very seriously.”
- Heritage’s Jessica Zuckerman fact-checked President Obama’s latest speech on immigration and amnesty.
- In: American Crash 2011 | Barack Obama | Big Labor Unions | Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Bill | Economy/Money | Environment | EPA Environmental Protection Agency | Ineffective Government Programs | Know the enemies of America | Laws and Regulation--stupidities | laws and regulations--stupidities | national deficit, taxes, national budget | Obama 2013 and beyond | Obama admistration | Obama Against America | Obama and ethics | Obama Executive Decress | Obamanation | Progressives Movement to Destroy America | Radical Left at War with America | Redistributing wealth | SEIU Service Employees International Union | Subverting America by Uri Bezmenov
- Leave a Comment
We Americans believe that we are the truly free people in the world, but this since Obama is a myth, a lie! We are not at all FREE because the one thing that made us Free–our capitalist system— has been almost destroyed by Obamanation. Thru the overwhelming intrusion of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations and Obama’s pandering to the unions with his radical liberal stacked National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) our economy and the business (capitalism) that fuels it has been so handicapped as to be crippled. The United States now ranks 10th. in the world in the list of free economies. Hong Kong and Singapore rank as 1 and 2! How did we get here? Why are We the People willing to accept this situation? When will the workers of America realize that it is in our best interest for the FREE Market to truly be free? Have any of you ever gotten a job from a poor man? NO! NO! It is the rich man who invests in companies which then provide the jobs for all of us to get ahead. Damnit anyhow. I am so tired of hearing “tax the rich” and “spread the wealth around”. The government taxes the rich means the rich do two things: stop investing and creating American businesses and 2. move their money out of the United States. People do you remember the tax payer bail out of Chrysler and the Unions by Obama? Well don’t look now but Chrysler is now producing JEEPS in China. Yes! They took our tax payer dollars and politely moved their operation to a freeier less government intrusive and union demanding China. (But don’t you union guys worry because your pensions and benefits have been protected. Of course your kids and grandkids will not have a decent life and will be paying for your demands, but who cares , right? )
Well, my rant for today. Read the following article and weep. sincerely, BB
When we talk about “economic freedom,” what do we mean—and why does it matter?
Economic freedom is the fundamental right of every human to control his or her own labor and property. In an economically free society, individuals are free to work, produce, consume, and invest in any way they please, with that freedom both protected by the state and unconstrained by the state.
Since reaching a global peak in 2008, sadly, economic freedom around the world has continued to stagnate. (Now refresh my poor memory: what happened in 2008? Oh yes, Obama and the Democrats took over the government! that’s what happened! BB)
Today launches the 19th edition of the Index of Economic Freedom, produced by The Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal. The 2013Index was edited by Ambassador Terry Miller, director of Heritage’s Center for International Trade and Economics; Kim Holmes, Ph.D., Heritage’s Distinguished Fellow; and Edwin J. Feulner, Ph.D., Heritage’s president.
What are the reasons for the worldwide sluggishness? As Ambassador Miller writes in The Wall Street Journal, “Particularly concerning are the rise of populist ‘democratic’ movements that use the coercive power of government to redistribute income and control economic activity.”
While “corrupt political and legal environments cause underdevelopment in poorer countries,” Miller writes, “unfortunately, economic favoritism and cronyism exist in advanced democracies, too.” Americans are well aware, and the overall U.S. score has been dropping since 2009. From 2009 to 2010, the U.S. declined from being a “free” economy to “mostly free.” This year, it ranks 10th in the world.
The Most Free
1. Hong Kong
4. New Zealand
10. United States
One reason for America’s lack of freedom is that its scores on regulatory efficiency—which include business freedom and labor freedom—have dropped. The editors point to the fact that “over 100 new major federal regulations have been imposed on business operations since early 2009 with annual costs of more than $46 billion.”
Miller explains that what happens in Washington affects not only every corner of America, but of the world:
It is no exaggeration to blame the recent slowdown in economic liberalization around the world on the lack of U.S. leadership. Trade flows—the engine of world growth—have declined as the U.S. economy has stagnated. Protectionism threatens consumers and businesses with higher costs and restrictions in supply. Ill-conceived banking regulations such as the Dodd-Frank law generate uncertainty and anxiety. And investment freedom declines in the face of higher costs and new legal and tax liabilities such as those introduced by ObamaCare. These misguided U.S. policies hurt Americans first, but others feel the harm as well. (READ this paragraph again and again until you understand it! Dodd-Frank and Obamacare are bad news for Americans! BB)
North America continues to be the world’s freest region, though Mexico was the only economy that improved its Index score over the last year. The region boasts two “mostly free” economies (Canada and the United States) and one “moderately free” economy (Mexico). It leads the world in terms of rule of law, regulatory efficiency, and open markets, but is getting worse where government spending is concerned.
About the Index
Launched in 1995, the Index evaluates countries in four broad areas of economic freedom: rule of law; regulatory efficiency; limited government; and open markets. Based on an aggregate score, each of 177 countries graded in the 2013 Index was classified as “free,” “mostly free,” “moderately free,” “mostly unfree,” or “repressed.”
The broader areas are broken down into 10 measures: property rights, freedom from corruption, fiscal freedom, government spending, business freedom, labor freedom, monetary freedom, trade freedom, investment freedom, and financial freedom.
The New Website
The updated website, launched today, is interactive:
- Compare up to three countries of your choice on all 10 measures of economic freedom with an interactive, color-coded chart feature. (Do this now to see how America has fallen in all areas since Obama! BB )
- See a colorful heat map of the spread of economic freedom around the world, or select a specific region.
Each country’s profile includes quick facts such as its population, gross domestic product (GDP), unemployment rate, and the amount of foreign investment flowing into the country—and you can embed this data in your blog or website.
- In: American Crash 2011 | Barack Obama | Deficit Reduction Proposal | Economy/Money | Federal Reserve | Government Failure Series from Cato Institute | Know the enemies of America | Laws and Regulation--stupidities | national deficit, taxes, national budget | Obama admistration | Obama and ethics | Politics 2008 | Politics 2009 | Politics 2010 | Politics 2011 | Radical Left at War with America | Republican House of Representatives 2011 | Republican House of Representatives 2011 | Supercommittee 2011 | Taxes
- 1 Comment
I wondered why the Federal Reserve would order banks to take a “stress test” that would determine how well they were able to withstand a sudden and severe drop in the stock market unless they were anticipating such a drop. Guess my wondering is in good company a contributor to Big Government blog had the same wonder but he put his into perspective as to what this would do to the country. Interesting post. I might advise you all to buckle up and hang on out there. At least that is what I am doing! BB
I warned last week that a recession and higher unemployment were about to hit the U.S. economy. On Tuesday, the Bureau of Economic Analysis cut their estimate of growth in the third quarter ending September from 2.5% to 2%. Then on Wednesday, the Federal Reserve rocked financial markets by forcing America’s 31 largest U.S. banks to “stress test” balance sheets to determine their capability to withstand an 8% drop in the economy; which would cause home prices to plunge by 21%, and unemployment rate to jump to 13%.
I illuminated in my report that U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has been under-counting unemployment by at least 2%. For a nation reporting 154.4 million workers; this means the 13.9 million reportedly unemployed should actually be 17 million. Given only 12.8 million were unemployed at the 1933 peak of the Great Depression, when the undercounting and the Fed’s stress test are added the total is 23.2 million unemployed; almost double the Great Depression.
(The only reason we are not seeing bread lines and homeless people flooding the streets is that now we have the federal government handing out up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits as well as 47+ million people on food stamps. during the Great Depression these programs were not available.. Which certainly proves the statement I have been making for decades that the next depression would make the so-called “Great” one look like a Sunday picnic. Of course the unemployed as well as the employed and their great grandchildren are on the hook for all the money that is being borrowed to pay for these benefits! Which brings me to the second difference between now and then: big business was on the hook and were the ones going into deep debt and bankrupt rather than the people via our government, but during these intervening years Congress has undertaken to protect business and even banking by taking on the risk of doing business in America while not enforcing the rules that business “help” pay for these protective programs. One of the most egregious business protecting programs that Uncle Sam has taken from business is the promise to pay retirement benefits if a business is unable to do so. Companies are suppose to pay into a trust fund for these programs but they don’t and no one is watching the store to see that they do! Companies do not even have to go bankrupt in order for the government to step up to the plate with our wallets open! BB)
Formerly bullish top bank analyst Dick Bove in an Bloomberg interview commented on the Fed:
“By taking these draconian views of what could happen in the market, if they in fact force the banks to defense themselves against the outlook that they’ve put up, they’ll cause a recession,”
Consistent with my prediction that the booming production of capital goods would fall hard next year after the expiration of the 100% “bonus depreciation” tax credit; the bad news parade picked up steam this week with reports that U.S. durable goods orders fell 0.7 percent last month and initial jobless claims came in higher than Wall Street analyst’s predictions.
On the always dismal European front, interest rates on German “Bund” Treasury Bonds exceeded the interest rates on U.S. Treasury bonds for the first time as traders feared the financial turmoil of Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain (aka the “PIGS”) is causing a financial contagion that may implode solvency of German banks. Peter Cecchini, head of investment strategy at Cantor Fitzgerald in New York reporting on effects of the European financial crisis for the rest of the world: “Evidence is slowly mounting that containment is a pipe dream,”
In the delightful Middle East, the Aircraft Carrier George H.W. Bush left its traditional theater of operations watching Iran and the Persian Gulf, and moved to the closest point to Syria in preparation for implementing a “no-fly-zone” by American, European, and Arab League forces. CBS also just reported: “The U.S. Embassy in Damascus urged its citizens in Syria to depart “immediately,” and Turkey’s foreign ministry urged Turkish citizens on pilgrimages to “return home from Saudi Arabia to avoid traveling through Syria.”
During the month of November the equity shares of the 31 banks the Fed directed to begin their stress test have now fallen 13%; with Goldman Sachs and Bank of America trading at their lowest prices since the lows of the Great Recession in March of 2009. If the economy heads for a sharp recession and unemployment leaps, there will be hell to pay for politicians in November’s election.
And of course with all this happening our Congress men and women in their appointed Super Committee made up of the greatest brains (?????) in Congress failed to agree to taking 3 cents out of every dollar the government spends for the next ten years! There seems to be a movement of saner heads in Congress to bring the President’s appointed deficit Reduction Committee’s (known as the Simpson-Bowles Committee) recommendations to a vote. I expect this to happen in the Republican controlled House of Representatives and to pass. but Democrat Senator Harry Reid will not allow it to come to the floor for a vote in the democratically controlled Senate. There are i believe now a total of 48 bills that were passed in the House that are sitting on the shelf in the Senate! BB
- In: American Crash 2011 | Big Labor Unions | Communism in America | Deficit Reduction Proposal | Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Bill | Economy/Money | EPA Environmental Protection Agency | Federal Reserve | Government Failure Series from Cato Institute | Government Failure Series from Cato Institute | Ineffective Government Programs | Laws and Regulation--stupidities | laws and regulations--stupidities | national deficit, taxes, national budget | National Politics | Obama and ethics | Politics 2008 | Politics 2009 | Politics 2010 | Politics 2011 | Progressives Movement to Destroy America | Redistributing wealth | Roosevelt and Obama | Subverting America by Uri Bezmenov | Taxes
- Leave a Comment
Posted by Tad DeHaven
Over at Downsizing the Federal Government, we focused on the following issues this past week:
- It’s darkly comical that the same entity responsible for killing countless private sector jobs with its taxes and regulations operates job training programs.
- Warren Buffett should put up or shut up.
- Two polls of likely voters released by Rasmussen Reports indicate that the federal government’s corporate welfare programs should be prime targets for spending cuts.
- (Wanted to make sure you saw the results of these polls.
Voters Don’t Support Corporate Welfare
Two polls of likely voters released by Rasmussen Reports today indicate that the federal government’s corporate welfare programs should be prime targets for spending cuts.
The first poll found little support for the Small Business Administration’s lending programs:
- A majority (58 percent) of likely voters said that the federal government shouldn’t guarantee loans issued by private lenders to small businesses. 23 percent said the government should back small business loans and 19 percent were unsure.
- A majority (59 percent) of likely voters said that reducing government regulations and taxes would be more helpful to small businesses than the government providing loans to small businesses that can’t obtain financing on their own. 22 percent said the government loans were better and 18 percent were unsure. ( I am definitely among the 58%! BB)
- Entrepreneurs particularly believed that reducing government regulations and taxes is preferable to government lending programs. 76 percent of entrepreneurs felt that way and 61 percent opposed government loans to small businesses that couldn’t obtain financing. (These are the people with the ideas People. So listen to them carefully because they are the movers and shakers of America. In fact, these people are almost uniquely America because America is (or at least ONCE WAS) the only place on earth where these people with ideas and dreams could make their dreams come true. Obamanation has brought this to a halt and is working hard to kill the entire idea of anyone in America having an original thought. BB)
(See this new Cato essay on why the Small Business Administration should be terminated.) (AGREED! BB)
Similarly, the second poll found little support for various federal corporate welfare programs:
- Only 15 percent of likely voters said the federal government should continue to provide funding for foreign countries to buy military weapons from U.S. companies. 70 percent were opposed and the rest were undecided. (Where in Hell did they find the 15%!??! BB)
- Only 29 percent of likely voters said the government should continue to provide loans and loan guarantees to help finance export sales for large corporations. 46 percent were opposed and the rest were undecided. (See Sallie James’ new Cato paper on why the Export-Import Bank should be terminated.) (I am sure this undecided vote was because the respondents could not understand the question. ONLY large well o0rganized and connected companies export their products and these companies surely do not need any tax dollars to do so as they will continue on their own if a profit is being made. I would like to say this practice will come to a halt after 2012 when we get a person with sense in the White House but congressmen on the company dole are not likely to stop anything that might annoy their buds. BB)
- Only 37 percent of likely voters said the federal government should continue providing farm subsidies. A plurality (46 percent) said farm subsidies should be abolished and 17 percent weren’t sure. (See this Cato essay for more on farm subsidies.) (Just for information purposes: the so-called “family farm” ain’t the family farm anymore People. The Family Farm is now BIGGGGGGG Agribusiness and just like any other business it certainly doesn’t need our tax dollars. But just play hell getting rid of it! BB)
- The Washington Post asks for budget plans. We have one. (No comments from me here because it ALL makes a lot of sense and I hope you go to all the sites referred and read carefully. BB)
- Despite Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac’s role in driving the housing bubble and $160 billion in taxpayer losses (so far), President Obama appears to be considering just putting the same failed system in place. (Did anyone really expect anything else??! By the way, Fannie Mae is the outfit that gave me the deal on my house. but it really wasn’t a deal at all, it was where the price of the house would have been if government had not gotten into the notion of everyone deserves and has a “right” to own a home and started making sure everyone got one regardless of if they could pay for it. the government getting in of course made the prices for houses go sky high. Just as the government getting into anything causes the prices of that good or service to go sky high—-haven’t we learned a thing yet? Those supplying the goods or service are not dumb and know they will get their price no matter where they set it. Government got into medical care with Medicare and Medicaid and doctor, hospitals, medical supply companies, health insurance companies and drug companies all sent their prices up by double digits for 40 years. Government got into education and colleges and universities went hog wild at the banquet of federal money via the students. As sure as the moon follows the sun and the sun follows the moon the big money will follow the government money. BB)